Saturday, November 15, 2008

DANCING FOR CHARITY

Last year, the producer of Astro's Sehati Berdansa asked if my husband and I would consent to participate in the programme. I told her she was mad! At 53 I was not upto breaking my bones and having the whole nation laugh at a couple of old fogies trying to keep up with the young ones at hip hop and jaipong! She asked again this year and again the voice of reason spoke louder than the voice of suicide! But dance for charity my husband and I did last night in Penang to help raise funds for I believe abused young women. Yes I was a ronggeng girl, and hubby was a gallant and gagah wira Melayu resplendent in baju Melayu joget-ting away to our hearts' content. It was fun and we are glad we didn't turn down "mamasan" Zaiton Crockford's request. Another celebrated pertsonality Marina Mahathir also consented to be a ronggeng girl. She was gorgeous in her red kebaya and I am sure added much to the collection. The rich and generous Penangites and expatriates also did not disappoint. My girls would have loved to be part of Ton's entourage but they were all working. Yes, even the 13-year-old! Insyallah, if there is another similar fund-raiser, and with Ton there will be many many more, Syed Rashid's girls will be there in full force!! Till then, my dancing shoes will be safely stored away...

No comments: